Monday, July 6, 2009

What's in Your Bag?

Lunch is what's in my bag!

No excuses are allowed when it comes to packing your lunch. I drive 25oo miles a month, have no access to a microwave and still manage to pack my lunch everyday. Yes, it can be a bit lonely eating in your car everyday, but if you want to get out of the office (or your car in my case) pop in to a book store or a coffee shop to eat your lunch. Trust me, no one will notice that you are not buying anything... I do it all the time. Plus, think of all of the money you are saving!!!

I usually take whatever I have leftover from dinner and eat it cold for lunch. For example, tonight for dinner I had all natural chicken sausage (Buddy's all natural is my favorite because it is low in sodium- only 100mg per link) with tomato sauce and spinach. For lunch I will pack up some raw spinach and put the sausage and tomato sauce over it and have it as a cold salad type thingy without dressing. I will also pack a peach or some other type of fruit if I want a little something sweet after my meal.

Pack plenty of snacks and water. The key to packing your lunch is to never run out of food. That does not mean eat it all at once. Just make sure you keep enough food around so you never make an unhealthy food choice out of boredom. Snacks can be nuts and seeds, cut up veggies with a homemade dip (see recipe below) or an apple with almond butter.

At least give it a try a few days this week and see how you feel! It's not that hard...it's just LUNCH!!!

Veggie dip recipe:
1 cup canola mayonaise
1 tbsp dried dill ( I like Simply Organic Dash O' Dill)
A few slices of roasted red pepper (if you use jarred, pat them dry first)
Blend in a food processor or blender until smooth
This recipe makes plenty to use all week.