Friday, July 24, 2009

The long road back

I've been able to get by in my life without really watching what I eat because of my very active lifestyle. I mean, I used to say "oh, I could lose 5 pounds" but in reality I didn't need to lose any weight. After gaining 50 pounds with my pregnancy, I really do have weight to lose. It's the first time in my life that I have said "I need to lose 20 pounds". Okay, admitting you have a problem is the first step...now what?

Well, step 2 was working out again. I love Crossfitting and playing sports, so that was easy. Now I'm on step 3 and it's a step that I would like to be able to skip. It's the step where I have to give up eating things that I love and eat smarter.

I'm addicted to sugar. I'll admit that I love cookies, cake, bread, tortillas, and even plain sugar (when I was little, I used to lick it off a spoon). I could lose weight by just eating less, but we all know that doesn't help my body in the long run. I could continue eating "low fat" this and "low calorie" that and be just fine. I've done that before. But this time, I want to do it the right way and eat food to fuel my life. Now that I am breastfeeding, it's not only my body that is relying on the food I eat.

Two popular options are The Zone and Paleo or some combination of both. I've zoned before and don't mind it too much, but the counting of everything gets to be quite intensive. Paleo has always scared me because I can't eat grains, sugars, and even dairy. I would like to eat Paleo, I'm just not sure I can give those things up. I read Ray's post and his results are inspiring, another reason to try Paleo.

This week, I've started really trying to watch what I eat. My goal is a Paleo lean with dairy mixed in there. I can't go cold turkey with the no sugar, partly because I don't want to and the other part is that I don't want to do anything too drastic right now. So far the results have been good. The scale actually fell below 160 pounds for the first time ( I was 190 pounds the day I gave birth). A good weight for me is around 140-145 pounds. There has been cheats this week, already, but each time I fall I get back up on the horse on the next meal.

I think the key is to make better choices. Even if I eat some grains at a meal, I try to make sure it's not the bulk of my meal. I guess what I want to accomplish with this post is that it's okay to not be a perfect Paleo eater or a perfect Zoner. Just try to make better choices. I find that once I start making a habit of good choices, the bad ones are not as tempting.

I plan on checking back in throughout this process and using you guys as my accountability partners. Feel free to ask me about it at the box! I know Coach Jim demands my menu every now and then :)

Take care -
Beth aka Teach